Foodbank to benefit from Walmart's Fight Hunger. Spark Change Campaign
May 09, 2017
Walmart launched its “Fight Hunger. Spark Change.” campaign, a nationwide initiative calling on the public to take action in the fight against hunger. The Feeding America nationwide network of 200 food banks, of which Akron-Canton Regional Foodbank is a member, stands to benefit from the campaign goal to secure at least 100 million meals for Feeding America food banks across the country.
“We appreciate Walmart’s ongoing commitment to fighting hunger and are thrilled that Walmart is asking the public to get involved and make a difference in their local communities through the ‘Fight Hunger. Spark Change.’ campaign,” said Dan Flowers, President and CEO of the Akron-Canton Regional Foodbank. “This campaign, in partnership with Feeding America, is critical to our collective ability to raise awareness about the issue, secure more local funds and ultimately, provide greater access to food for more people in need in Northeast Ohio.”
Working with customers, Discover and five of its national suppliers – Campbell Soup Company, General Mills, Kellogg Company, the Kraft Heinz Company and PepsiCo – Walmart is offering three easy ways for everyone to take action against hunger and help a local Feeding America food bank through social, online and in-store participation.
1. Purchase: For every participating product purchased at U.S. Walmart stores from April 17 – May 15, 2017, the supplier will donate the equivalent of one meal ($0.09) on behalf of a Feeding America member food bank, up to applicable limits. For every Discover card transaction made at U.S. Walmart stores and Walmart.com during the campaign period, Discover will donate the equivalent of one meal ($0.09) to Feeding America and its network of member food banks, up to $1 million. See Walmart.com/fighthunger for further details.
2. Online Acts of Support: Generate meals for Feeding America food banks by engaging with the Fight Hunger. Spark Change. campaign on social media:
- Facebook – Create original content that uses #FightHunger; like, share and/or react positively to campaign content; click on Walmart provided campaign content.
- Instagram – create or share content using the campaign hashtag #FightHunger; like or share Walmart generated campaign content.
- Snapchat – Use Walmart provided Fight Hunger. Spark Change. filters nationwide on April 21.
- Twitter – Create original content that uses #FightHunger; like, share and/or make a campaign tweet a favorite; retweet a message featuring the campaign hashtag #FightHunger; click on Walmart provided campaign content.
For each online act of support, Walmart will donate the equivalent of 10 meals ($0.90) to Feeding America on behalf of member food banks, up to $1.5 million.
3. Donate at the Register: Donate to a Feeding America member food bank at the register during checkout.
With Feeding America reporting that one in eight people in America struggle with hunger, the “Fight Hunger. Spark Change.” campaign comes at a critical time. Here in Northeast Ohio, one in seven people and nearly one in four children struggle with food insecurity.
“This campaign is an important part of our ongoing commitment to helping families who struggle with hunger,” said Kathleen McLaughlin, president of the Walmart Foundation and chief sustainability officer for Walmart. “Together with suppliers, customers and friends at Feeding America, we’re dedicated to making a positive difference in the lives of those who live and work in the communities we serve.”
This is Walmart’s 11th year working with Feeding America nationally to fight hunger and the 4th annual “Fight Hunger. Spark Change.” campaign. Last year, the Akron-Canton Regional Foodbank benefited from$104,928 or 419,712 meals dollars from Walmart’s campaign to fight hunger.
To learn more about the campaign, visit www.walmart.com/fighthunger.