There are people we interact with everyday who are not sure where they will find their next meal. They might be a co-worker at your office, one of your child’s best friends or an employee at your grocery store. Each year, thousands of people in our community are making difficult choices – seniors who are forced to choose between buying food or buying medicine; parents who might feed their children, but not themselves; and working families who must make the difficult decision between putting food on the table or paying their utilities.
With your help, there is hope. The Akron-Canton Regional Foodbank is committed to working with local food donors to access unsaleable yet usable products for distribution through our network of more than 600 food pantries, hot meal sites, shelters and other hunger-relief programs.
What can be donated?
- Out-of-code with extended shelf-life recommendations
- Mislabeled and unlabeled
- Off-spec items
- Test product inventory
- Seasonal items
- Promotional items
- Discontinued products
- Customer returns and refusals
- Over-the-counter items
- Food service packaged items
- Health and beauty aids
- Frozen and refrigerated goods
- Household cleaning items
- Private-label product
- Production overruns
- Ingredients and raw materials
- Paper products
- Boxes, bags, totes, pallets
What We Offer
- Free product pick-up from any location in the eight counties we serve.
- National and local recall notification system
- Reduction of fees associated with storage, transportation and disposal
- Receipts for tax reductions
- Assistance with sustainability; waste minimization
- Comprehensive liability protection
- Adherence to safe food handling best practices as an AIB inspected and certified food distribution center
- National and local community impact and outreach
- Authorized CHEP pallet and returnable container participant
- High warehouse operation standards established in cooperation with FMI and GMA
- Assistance to more than 180,000 different people each year