Local community benefits from Nationwide Foundation grant to Foodbank
Sep 22, 2016
The Akron-Canton Regional Foodbank announced it’s the recipient of $45,000 from the Nationwide Foundation earlier this week. This grant will bring much-needed food to families facing hunger in Northeast Ohio.
“We’re grateful to be awarded this grant from the Nationwide Foundation,” said Dan Flowers, president & CEO of the Akron-Canton Regional Foodbank. “Nationwide and the Nationwide Foundation have a long-standing commitment to helping our neighbors struggling with hunger, and with this grant, the Foodbank will be able to distribute more food to those who need it most.”
This grant is part of a $1.5 million gift to Feeding America® that will help provide more healthy foods to people in need. With this donation, the Nationwide Foundation is investing in 22 food banks, including the Akron-Canton Regional Foodbank, and supporting national produce sourcing efforts to help ensure safe and efficient produce delivery to food banks and their partner agencies.
“We’re committed to addressing the most critical needs in the communities where we live and work. Often those needs are the most basic ones, like ensuring that everyone in the community has enough food to live a healthy, productive life,” said Chad Jester, president of the Nationwide Foundation. “That’s why we are proud to partner with the Akron-Canton Regional Foodbank.”
The following Feeding America network members are receiving grants from the Nationwide Foundation:
- Akron-Canton Regional Foodbank, Akron, OH
- Atlanta Community Food Bank, Atlanta, GA
- Blue Ridge Area Food Bank, Verona, VA
- Bread of the Mighty Food Bank, Inc., Gainesville, FL
- Central Pennsylvania Food Bank, Harrisburg, PA
- FeedMore, Inc., Richmond, VA
- Food Bank of Central & Eastern North Carolina, Raleigh, NC
- Food Bank of Iowa, Des Moines, IA
- Food Bank of Lincoln, Inc., Lincoln, NE
- Food Bank of the Rockies, Denver, CO
- Greater Cleveland Food Bank, Cleveland, OH
- Mid-Ohio Foodbank, Grove City, OH
- Mid-South Food Bank, Memphis, TN
- New Hampshire Food Bank, Manchester, NH
- North Texas Food Bank, Dallas, TX
- Philabundance, Philadelphia, PA
- Placer Food Bank, Roseville, CA
- San Antonio Food Bank, San Antonio, TX
- Second Harvest Food Bank of Orange County, Irvine, CA
- Second Harvest Food Bank of Middle Tennessee, Nashville, TN
- St. Mary’s Food Bank Alliance, Phoenix, AZ
- The Maryland Food Bank, Baltimore, MD
As well as supporting the Foodbank with a financial gift, associates from the Canton Nationwide office recently volunteered at the Foodbank sorting and repackaging donations for distribution. They worked beneath a banner in the Foodbank’s warehouse recognizing Nationwide as a Leadership Partner in the Foodbank’s Major Partner Program.
To learn how you can join the fight to end hunger in your community, please visit akroncantonfoodbank.org.