Foodbank asks community to take action against hunger for Hunger Action Month
Sep 02, 2020
This September, the Akron-Canton Regional Foodbank, together with the Feeding America nationwide network of food banks, will mobilize across all 50 states in an effort to raise awareness about the persistent issue of hunger.
Hunger Action Month is designed to inspire people to take action against hunger. The pandemic has proven that many families live paycheck to paycheck and are one emergency away from needing food assistance, visiting a food pantry or needing a hot meal site within the Foodbank’s network.
COVID-19 forced many people out of work and children out of school, missing the breakfast and lunch they typically receive for free. As families try to replenish their savings and rebound from the pandemic, struggling with hunger has become a new ‘normal’ for some.
The Foodbank has seen a significant increase in the demand for food. More than 30 percent of the people visiting food pantries within the Foodbank’s network are visiting a food program for the very first time. Feeding America projects a 41 percent increase in the number of people struggling with food insecurity in the Foodbank’s eight-county service area. A 51 percent increase is estimated for the number of children in Northeast Ohio who may not have enough to eat.
“Our community has done a tremendous job in rallying behind the Foodbank and supporting our neighbors in need throughout this pandemic,” said Dan Flowers, Foodbank president and CEO. “It’s because of the compassion and collaboration we’ve experienced here at the Foodbank that I know we’ll get through this crisis together. Thank you for supporting your Foodbank and for making a difference for the children, families and seniors who struggle with hunger.”
Hunger Action Month activities:
• Hunger Action Day – September 10, 2020. Join your Foodbank in wearing orange, the color of hunger relief. Snap a photo and share on your social media sites using #acrfb and #HungerActionMonth.
• Volunteer– Visit akroncantonfoodbank.org/volunteer to learn about volunteer opportunities.
• Advocate – The Foodbank needs your help throughout the year as it advocates for important policy issues that impact people facing hunger. Please visit the Foodbank’s website to sign up for action alerts at akroncantonfoodbank.org/advocate.
• Make a Donation – $1 can help provide the equivalent of 4 meals.
• Virtual Taste of the Pro Football Hall of Fame: A Day of Support – September 29, 2020. Support the Foodbank through a virtual day of support. Visit akroncantonfoodbank.org/taste.
Volunteer. Engage. Advocate. Donate. Everyone has a role to play in fighting hunger – one helping at a time. Take action today by contacting your Akron-Canton Regional Foodbank at akroncantonfoodbank.org/HAM or 330.535.6900.