Foodbank asks community to take action against hunger during Hunger Action Month
Sep 02, 2019
This September, the Akron-Canton Regional Foodbank, together with the Feeding America nationwide network of food banks, will mobilize across all 50 states in an effort to raise awareness about the issue of hunger.
Hunger Action Month is designed to inspire people to take action against hunger since 40 million Americans are food insecure, according to the USDA. In the eight counties served by the Akron-Canton Regional Foodbank, 1 in 7 people will struggle with hunger this year, including more than 1 in 5 kids who may not have enough to eat. These individuals are forced to make tough decisions, including choosing between paying for rent and buying groceries for their families.
“During Hunger Action Month, it’s important for our community to rally together to fight hunger. It’s because of our collective work and passion that we will end hunger in Northeast Ohio,” said Dan Flowers, president and CEO of the Akron-Canton Regional Foodbank. “Help us advocate by raising awareness, making a donation or volunteering your time. We thank you for finding a way to get involved and for making a difference for our neighbors struggling with hunger.”
Hunger Action Month activities:
• WEAR ORANGE DAY – September 12, 2019. Join your Foodbank in wearing orange, the color of hunger relief. Snap a photo and share on your social media sites using #acrfb and #HungerActionMonth.
• VOLUNTEER – Visit akroncantonfoodbank.org/volunteer to learn about volunteer opportunities.
• ADVOCATE – The Foodbank needs your help throughout the year as it advocates for important policy issues that impact people facing hunger. Please visit the Foodbank’s website to sign up for action alerts at akroncantonfoodbank.org/advocate.
• MAKE A DONATION – $1 can help provide 4 meals.
• TASTE OF THE PRO FOOTBALL HALL OF FAME – September 17, 2019. Join us for Taste of the Pro Football Hall of Fame, your Foodbank’s largest fundraising event. Visit akroncantonfoodbank.org/taste.
Volunteer. Engage. Advocate. Donate. Everyone has a role to play in ending hunger – one helping at a time. Take action today by contacting your Akron-Canton Regional Foodbank at akroncantonfoodbank.org/HAM or 330.535.6900.