Encourage your local representative to increase funding for our neighbors in need in the Ohio 2020-2023 Biennial Budget
Apr 13, 2021
As our community continues to struggle with hunger while attempting to rebound from the pandemic, state government food product is critical to the Foodbank’s response and recovery efforts. For two decades, Ohio food banks have relied on a strong partnership with the Ohio Food Program and Agricultural Clearance Program. In 2020, our Foodbank received and distributed nearly 6.5 million pounds of nourishing items like fresh fruits and vegetables, canned goods, etc. through these programs.
Increased state funding in the 2022-2023 biennial budget for these programs is critical in procuring enough food for our neighbors in need and ensuring an equitable recovery for all Ohioans. By helping Ohio households meet their basic needs, like food and essential non-food household items, they can allocate their limited resources toward utilities, housing, transportation, childcare, recovering from debt and more.
Your help is needed to support these critical programs in the Ohio 2022-2023 Biennial Budget. Now is the time to act as the budget goes into effect on July 1, 2021. Join us this week and contact your state representatives to approve a temporary increase in critical state funding. Below are a few talking points to help guide your conversation with your local representatives.
I am joining the Ohio Association of Foodbanks, along with other state food banks, in requesting:
- $12 million in pass-through federal CARES Act funding throughout 2021 to support the purchase and distribution of emergency foods, as well as shelf-stable items and essential non-food items.
- $45 million per year in the 2022-2023 biennial budget, primarily funded through pass-through TANF dollars, including:
- $40 million per year for the operation of the Ohio Food Program and Agricultural Clearance Program,
- $4 million per year for non-food items,
- $1 million per year in capacity building support for hunger-relief organizations.
Thank you for supporting your Foodbank and for your continued advocacy efforts on behalf of the people we serve.