Foodbank's campaign inspires community members to come together this holiday season
Nov 05, 2015
The Akron-Canton Regional Foodbank is hosting its annual holiday Hunger-Free Families campaign from Nov. 1- Dec. 31, 2015.
In the Foodbank’s service area, one in seven individuals, and nearly one in four children will face hunger this year. Hunger-Free Families seeks to inspire the community to come together to take action and help provide food to families struggling with hunger.
“If your goal is like many in our community — to turn the energy of generosity that overwhelms you during the holidays into something charitable and meaningful, then the Foodbank’s holiday campaign is for you,” said Dan Flowers, President & CEO of the Akron-Canton Regional Foodbank. “We are incredibly grateful for the community members rallying around this campaign, which raises vital funds to help our hungry neighbors, and give them hope for a hunger-free future.”
The Foodbank’s holiday campaign hopes to motivate the community to get involved, whether that is through volunteering, holding a food and funds drive or making a donation, all actions will help provide meals to hungry families in your neighborhood.
Many local partners support the campaign by holding events to raise money and collect food for the Foodbank:
- Double Your Dollar Day on Cyber Monday, Nov. 30, 2015, is an online match promotion. While making holiday purchases online, please visit akroncantonfoodbank.org and make a donation. A generous area family will match any dollar donated on Cyber Monday. On this day only, your $1 =8 meals!
- #GivingTuesday on Wed., Dec. 2, 2015, is a global day dedicated to giving back. Support local restaurants that support your Foodbank. Please see the Foodbank’s website for times and required flyers.
- Long Haul Against Hunger on Fri., Dec. 4, 2015. Join 98.1 WKDD, My 101.7, Rock 106.9, 99.7 Canton’s New County and 640 WHLO for this drive by and donate event. Live broadcasts from 6:00 AM to 7:00 PM with activities all day at two locations available at akroncantonfoodbank.org!
- Foodbank icons for sale from Nov. 8- Dec. 12. The Foodbank has point of purchase partners that are selling Foodbank icons for $1. Your $1 donation = 4 meals to those struggling with hunger. A special thank you to our icon partners: Mainstream Boutique, Old Carolina Barbecue, Baja West Coast Kitchen, Smoke the Burger Joint and Four Kid's Coffee.
- Selfless Elf 5K on Sat., Dec. 19, 2015. Dress in your favorite holiday-themed costumes or running gear, and run or walk the 3.1-mile course beginning and ending at the Foodbank. Race begins at 8:00 AM. Thank you to our Selfless Elf title sponsor Shearer’s Foods Inc.
To learn more about the holiday Hunger-Free Families campaign, please visit akroncantonfoodbank.org/holiday or contact the Foodbank at 330.535.6900.