Foodbank inspires community to take action this holiday season
Nov 06, 2014
This holiday season the Akron-Canton Regional Foodbank hosts the annual Hunger-Free Families campaign from Nov. 1- Dec. 31, 2014.
In the Foodbank’s service area, one in seven people, and nearly one in four children will face hunger this year. Hunger-Free Families seeks to inspire the community to come together to take action and help provide food to these families struggling with hunger.
“As cold weather and the holidays quickly approach, we are especially mindful of local families in need,” said Dan Flowers, president and CEO of the Akron-Canton Regional Foodbank. “We are incredibly grateful for all those participating in this campaign, which will raise vital funds needed to help our hungry neighbors, and give them hope for a hunger-free future.”
The goal of the Hunger-Free Families campaign is to motivate the community to get involved, whether that is through volunteering, holding a food and funds drive or making a donation, all actions will help provide meals to hungry families in your neighborhood.
Many local partners support the campaign by holding events to raise money and collect food for the Foodbank:
- Double Your Dollar Day on Cyber Mon., Dec. 1, 2014, is an online match promotion. While making holiday purchases online, please visit akroncantonfoodbank.org and make a donation. A generous area family will match any dollar donated on Cyber Monday. On this day only, your $1 =8 meals!
- Giving Tuesday on Tues., Dec. 2, 2014, is a global day dedicated to giving back. Help us support local restaurants that support your Foodbank. A special thank you to our restaurant partners: Bob Evans, Papa Johns, Spaghetti Warehouse and Chipotle. *Please see the Foodbank’s website for times and required flyers.
- Long Haul Against Hunger on Fri., Dec. 12, 2014. Join 98.1 WKDD, My 101.7, Rock 106.9 and 640 WHLO for this drive by and donate event. Live broadcasts from 6:00am to 7:00pm with activities all day at two locations available at akroncantonfoodbank.org.
- Selfless Elf 5K on Sat., Dec. 20, 2014. Dress in your favorite holiday-themed costumes or running gear, and run or walk the 3.1-mile course beginning and ending at the Foodbank. Race begins at 8:00am. Thank you to our Selfless Elf title sponsor’s TKM Print Solutions and Shearer’s Foods Inc.
- Foodbank icons for sale from Nov. 9- Dec. 13. The Foodbank has point of purchase partners that are selling Foodbank icons for $1.
- Your $1 donation =4 meals to those struggling with hunger. A special thank you to our icon partners: Grinder's Above & Beyond, The Peanut Shoppe, Taggarts Ice Cream Parlor & Restaurant, Mainstream Boutique, Ermanno's Legendary Pizza, Old Carolina Barbecue, Baja Pizzafish, Smoke the Burger Joint, Four Kid's Coffee, Sweet Frog Premium Frozen Yogurt, Pancho's Southwestern Grille, Sarah's Vineyard and On Tap at the Harbor.